Featured Video

Breaking News
Join This Site

Fashion

SCENE (3)

SCENE (3)

Albert:  What are my plans? Why, my first plan is to find out my enemy, and avenge the family honour.
Monte Cristo: (a little amused) The family honour? Ah, I see! Weak and fearful as your father is know to be, cruel as he has often been to you and your mother, traitor as he has been proved in the eys of all his countrymen, you will yet avenge his disgrace for the sake of your family name? may I ask who the man is on whom you propose to revenge yourself?
Albert:  (Seizing his hand) Ah, Count, if only you could help me to find him out-the villain who brought about my father’s disgrace by publishing evil reports in the newspapers! But it may be that I shall not need your help to find him. Beauchamp has promised to assist me, and I believe he is now very near to finding the name of my enemy.
Monte Cristo: And when you have found him, this-this enemy, what will you do to him?
Albert:  Can you ask it? I shall challenge him within the hour, may I hope that your will be my second, Count?
Monte Cristo: (Smilling and shaking his head) That might prove difficult, Besides, you know my opinion of duels! I told it to you when we were in Rome. If a man has insulted you, or struck a blow, then a duel may be a good way of dealing with him; but (slowly and with deliberation) when a man has done you a deadly wrong, has subjected you to slow, profound, eternal torture, then you must treat him as he has treated you. An eye for an eye, a tooth for tooth, that is the rule I follow.
Albert:  But you will at least help me to find my man?
Monte Cristo: (smilling) that will not be in the least necessary, I assure you. Your friend Beauchamp will find him easily enough. (Turning to the Countess of Morcerf) Madam, I pray you to excuse me now. I called here for but a moment to pay my compliments to you, and to speak a word of commiseration to my young friend Albert.
Countess: (protesting) But, Count, why need you leave us so son? You have not even rested after your journey. Pray be seated, sir, while I summon my servants and order them to set some refreshment before you.
Monte Cristo: (Waving his hand) Pardon me, madam, I can not stay. (To Albert) Albert, au revoir, and remember what I tell you. Do not put your trust in duels but in a slow and surely planned revenge. Madam, (he turns to the Countess) your, most abject slave! (He raises her hand to his lips, kisses it and then walks to the door, which is opened for him by the valets. He goes out).
Countess: I was not speaking of dueling or of revenge. It was another thing which struck me as strange. Have you never observed, Albert, that in all his visits to our home, the Count of Monte Cristo has never one broken bread? Often as I have begged him to do so, he has never accepted refreshment of any kind whatsoever.
Albert:  (who has been pacing to and fro and who now stops short). That is indeed singular, now that you have mentioned it.