Featured Video

Breaking News
Join This Site

Fashion

SCENE (2)

SCENE (2)

Albert:  Bah! The crime is not theirs! They acted according to the evidence, and did no more. But there is another, a villain who is behind all this-he is the man I seek, and he is the man whom I shall punish.
Countess:            But who is he, my son?
Albert:  How should I know? He is the man who wrote those paragraphs for the newspapers and caused all this mischief. He is behind all this-he is the man I seek. He is one who knows the secret of my father’s villainous past, and is determined to secure his punishment.
Countess: But if your father is a villain, why punish the man who has made his villainy public?
Albert:  (drawing himself up) Why? Why, indeed! It is no longer a matter of right or wrong, of truth of falsehood. It is a matter of the family honour and of our good name.
Countess:            And how will you find this man?
Albert:  I cannot find him myself. But I have set my ood friend Beauchamp to discover who he is. It was in Beauchamp’s newspaper that the accusations first appeared. If Beauchamp fails me, I shall ask the Count of Monte Cristo.
Countess: Ah, the Count of Monte Cristo. There you have a friend indeed, Why did you not ask his help from the first, my son? The Count is rich and powerful, and has been like a father to you. If you must avenge the family name, why not get the Count to help you?
Albert:  Because he was out of Paris when this affair occurred. You must remember that he and I were no holiday together in Normandy, and that I was summoned home to hear of my father’s disgrace. The Count promised to follow at his leisure. But I have good hope that I shall not need his help, for if Beauchamp succeeds in his enquiries I shall know by midnight the name of my father’s persecutor. And then let him beware.
                (The doors are opened by two valets, who stand aside to admit a splendidly-dressed nobleman. It is the Count of Monte Cristo. If you have been often to the cinema you will recognize his sort at once-the handsome hero, gay, cynical not very young, with a touch of the devil about him).
Valet:    (In a loud voice): The Count of Monte Cristo (The Countess rises, a little flustered. Monte Cristo comes forward, bows, kisses her hand).
Monte Cristo: Madam, your servant! My first duty, on returning to Paris from and journey, must always be to pay my compliments to the Countees of Morcerf.
Countess: Sir, in my poor home you are ever wlcome. For your many kindness to me and to my son, I am your humble and grateful servant.
Monte Cristo: (turning to the young man and taking him warmly by the hand) And now, Albert, my young friend! But, ah, I see the could on your brow! You have met with misfortune since you broke off our holiday in Normandy and returned to Paris.
Albert:  I need hardly ask you, my dear Count, if you know the nature of that misfortune. All Paris is ringing with it. You will have heard of my father’s disgrace.

Monte Cristo: (Bowing) I have heard of his disgrace indeed. And I have heard that his disgrace is well deserved. But what do you mean to do. Albert? What are your plans for the future?